History of the Maine Association of Nurse Anesthetists
The Maine Association of Nurse Anesthetists was established in 1956. The idea for an association was conceived by a small group of nurse anesthetists at the Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine.
A pre-organizational meeting was held April 6, 1956, and a by-laws committee was appointed. On May 10, 1956, an organizational meeting was held with ten members present. All members signed an application, which was forwarded to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists in Chicago.
The first meeting was held in September 30, 1956. Through the courtesy of E.R. Squibbs & Sons Co., two films pertaining to anesthesia were shown.
The small group was very optimistic concerning the Maine Association. Through the help of the AANA, the group grew. In the 1956-1957 period there were 24 active members and 7 inactive members. The Maine Association now became the 42nd state to be organized and recognized.
The 1956-1957 officers were:
President: Helen Aulton
Vice-president: Lucille LaBrecque
Secretary/Treasurer: Leda Regina
Georgia Greeley 1 year
Evelyn Nadeau 2 years
Marilyn Carroll 3 years
By-laws Committee: Evelyn Richards, Patricia Autovacas, Marguerite Roy
Educational Program: Mary Decker, Marilyn Carroll, Marguerite Roy
(It should be noted that Mary Decker conducted the School of Anesthesia for Nurse Anesthetists at the Maine General Hospital. Upon her retirement the school for Nurse Anesthetists closed.)
At the end of 1957 there were 26 active members and 6 inactive members.
The Maine Association of Nurse Anesthetists now has over 260 active members who live in all areas of the state. It’s members work in the largest medical centers in Maine, as well as being the only anesthesia providers in some of the states most rural hospitals.